Creating custom fields is a standard Salesforce feature.
How to create a custom field, for example, for Accounts:
- Click Setup in the top right hand corner of your screen to be directed to the Setup overview screen.
- Type “Field” in the quick search box in the top left hand corner of your screen and you will find a list of available options on the left hand side of your screen:
- Click Fields under the Accounts header and you will find a list of standard Accounts fields as well as a list of Accounts custom fields:
- To create a new custom field click New and the following screen will appear:
- Select the Data Type for your custom field by checking the button next to the relevant option.
- Click Next in the bottom right hand corner of your screen to be redirected to the following page:
- Under Field Label enter the name you wish to be display for this custom field.
- Click the tab key on your keyboard and the Field Name will automatically be filled in.
- Enter a Description and Help Text for the custom field if relevant.
- Check the Required box if this field should be mandatory.
- Once you have entered all relevant details click Next and the following screen will appear:
- Select for which users this custom field should be visible and if it should be Read-Only.
- Click Next and you will be redirected to the following screen:
- Select which account record types the custom field should be available for.
- Click Save.